Display: Wentworth Cabin
The current display at the District of Lake Country office highlights the Wentworth cabin. Situated on the museum grounds, the cabin is open to the public during museum hours. It was constructed and lived in by the Wentworth brothers, Cyril and Joe, when they came to Okanagan Centre from England. It is believed the cabin was built in 1906 from a design by Northcote Caesar. The boards on the inside of the cabin run vertically whereas the exterior planks are horizontal. This technique of construction does not require studs.
Most of the current furnishings were donated by Neville Sproule of Oyama. Tools were hung on the wall, the most practical arrangement in such a small space. Cold storage, for foods such as butter and meat, was under the cabin, accessed through a flap in the floor.
The cabin stood on its original property on Camp Road until 1999. It was donated by Ron and Rosemary Carter (née Wentworth) and was moved to its present location by the Lake Country Lion’s Club.
This display was created by museum volunteer Karen Gibbons.