In 1921 the Okanagan Centre Women’s Institute decided to open a small library for residents. To become of a registered member of the library, people would have to pay an annual fee of $1.00. The librarian was appointed solely by the Institute and funds were appropriately allocated to purchase new books. In order to attract library memberships, the Institute required its associates to donate books to form a nucleus.
At one time as many as 556 books were in the library. Books were exchanged with Oyama and one or two other Institutes who had a librarian. The book cupboard was kept in the Presbyterian Church that was also used as the school. In 1936, the library was passed over to the Union Library.