The Kelowna & District Genealogical Society (KDGS) is pleased to announce the release of the first nine books of the transcriptions of local cemeteries and burial grounds. Starting in 2008, members of the KDGS have visited various Central Okanagan burial sites , from Peachland north to Oyama. There, they copied/transcribed and photographed the grave markers, and then assembled this information into books for each of these nine cemeteries.
As well as a list of the burials – in the order that they appear in the cemeteries and also arranged in alphabetical order, as an index – each book contains a history of the cemetery, a cemetery map, and colour photographs of several selected grave markers. These cemetery recording books are a great source of local and genealogical histories and are now available for purchase by the public.
This first series of nine cemetery books is available from Bob Hayes at (250) 763–8859. Included in this series are the following burial sites, with prices per book. There is no tax added to these prices:
· Gellatly Cemetery (Westbank): $6.00 per book
· Immaculate Conception Church Cemetery: $12.00 per book
· Old Winfield Cemetery (Cemetery Road): $15.00 per book
· Oyama Community Cemetery: $9.00 per book
· Peachland Cemetery: $20.00 per book
· St. Andrew’s Anglican Churchyard (Okanagan Mission): $10.00 per book
· St. Theresa Cemetery (Rutland): $15.00 per book
· Westbank Cemetery: $16.00 per book
· Winfield Cemetery (Newene Road): $15.00 per book
The Old Winfield book has additional information included: obituaries and write-ups of people buried in that cemetery, family histories, and photographs of some of the old Winfield families who have members buried in that cemetery. This book is thus a social history of the early days of Winfield and Okanagan Centre, dating back to before World War I.
Sets of these books will be on deposit at various local museums and archives, libraries, and educational facilities. The cost for a complete set of nine cemetery transcription books is $100.00.
If you have any questions about these books or wish to obtain copies, please contact Bob Hayes at (250) 763–8859. He will be pleased to hear from you.