1945: 1949 - Redecopp Road
Redecopp Road was first established in January 1949. Its starting point is at Rolyat Road and it is a dead end street. It was first paved in 1968. Henry and Myrtle Redecopp left not only a street named after them but also a legacy of awards and achievements.
Henry was born in Saskatchewan in 1914 and in the spring of 1941 moved to Winfield where he later worked for Alex Beasley. Henry had a pen pal, Myrtle Hanson, who he married on December 4th, 1941 in the Winfield Anglican Church.
After the birth of their first son, Donald, in 1942 Henry retained a “wood limit” which was located close to Postill Lake, where he began his own business. It was here that he built a small cabin which was his family home until 1948, after which he moved back into Winfield so that Donald could attend school. The Redecopps also had another son, Douglas.
Henry went on to buy an acre of land known as “The Flats” which is on the road now named after him and this is where he built his home.
In 1949 Henry took up employment with the Ministry of Highways where he remained in the position of foreman until 1975. It was during this time that Henry was presented with a plaque in recognition of his 25 years service with the Highways Department which was presented to him by the Lieutenant Governor of British Columbia.
Four years earlier, in 1971, he was also given the Citizen of the Year Award by the residents of Winfield. Henry was heavily involved in the community as a charter member of the Winfield Fire Department and with the Winfield Lions Club. Added to this he was a member of the Order of Foresters in 1948 as well as a member of the Centennial Hall Board in 1951. No matter what was happening, Henry was always there ready to give a helping hand no matter what the cause. Both Henry and Myrtle were great supporters of the Canadian Red Cross for which they received awards.
Source: Lake Country Road Registry; The Calendar; and the Lake Country Museum archives.