1985: 1988 - Powley Court
Powley Court was established in 1988; paved in 1992.
W. R. Powley was born in Orillia, Ontario, but later moved with his family to Saskatchewan. In 1889 he joined the Indian Treaty Commissioner on a trip to the Peace River District.
Powley moved to the Okanagan in 1904, setting up a home on Long Lake (Kalamalka). Four years later, he, along with S. Hillyard, relocated to Winfield where he bought land from George Woollen.
The Halfway House for the stagecoach was situated on Powley’s land in Oyama. He did not want the stopping place and he told that to William Scott, the stagecoach driver. Scott partnered with N. H. Caesar to build a new stopping place in Winfield. It was located at the top of Robinson Hill.
Powley was very active in the Winfield area. He was School Board Chair for 26 years until it was integrated into School District #23 (Kelowna). He was also President of the Kelowna Creamery for 25 years and Director/Vice President of the B. C. Dairymen’s Association. He was a Life Member of the Farmers’ Institute until he retired.
Source: Powley, W. R. Early Days of Winfield