1975: 1979 - Oyama School Closes and a New One Opens
In September 1975, grade four students returned to Oyama Elementary School while grades five students went to Winfield Elementary. The grade six and seven students attended Okanagan Centre School.
In September, 1976 a new cement block building with four new rooms was built on the old baseball field north of the old school’s location in Oyama. The grade four to seven students attended classes in this new building.
In the spring of 1977 two more classrooms and a kindergarten were added and a gymnasium was added in September.
In June, 1979, the old Oyama School was closed. It was deemed structurally unsafe and demolished in November 1979.
Source: Bernardo, Sandra. The Histories of Winfield, Oyama, Okanagan Centre and the Commonage Schools.
See also: 1905, 1910, 1915, 1935, 1945, 1955, 1960, 1970, and 2000.