1905: September 5, 1908 - Completion of Canal
To improve transportation for the steamers on the lakes the Dominion Government undertook to dig a canal to connect Wood and Long Lakes. This canal on the west end of the Railroad was completed on September 5, 1908 and it allowed the several lake steamers access to Wood Lake and its freight and logging possibilities. In the process Wood Lake, which was three to four feet higher, was equalized with Long (Kalamalka) Lake rising about 12 inches.
Source: Ellison, Ken V. Irrigation is King!