1910: 1910 - Allison Road
Allison Road was first established in May 1910. Its starting point was at Oyama Road and it terminated at Middlebench Road. It saw its first paving in 1953. The namesakes for Allison Road were Mr. and Mrs. Robert Allison.
Robert and Dorothea Allison were married in 1913, a year after Dorothea Scott-Coward came to teach at the Okanagan Centre School. Dorothea was born in Lancashire, England and she received her teaching degree at Cambridge College in England. The Allisons lived in Oyama where Robert was an orchardist and Dorothea was heavily involved as a founding member of the Oyama Womens’ Institute, as well as being an active member on the Okanagan School Board.
At the time of their retirement in 1953, Robert and Dorothea moved to Kelowna. Mrs. Allison was given the honour of charter member of the Kelowna Art Exhibit Society and both she and Robert were assistant editors of a local historical magazine. Dorothea also wrote several books and lived to the great age of 102.
Source: The Calendar, February 17, 1981 and Lake Country Museum archives.
A collection of the Letters of Dorothea Scott-Coward Allison is available on the Royal BC Museum website.