School ProgramsSep 1, 2012 to Jun 30, 2013
Educators at Lake Country Museum are pleased to co-operate with the schools of Lake Country by providing school programs and tours of the Museum. Please contact Museum manager Shannon Jorgenson (e-mail email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone the Lake Country Museum at 250-766-0111) to make arrangments.
- Guided Tour - Explore Lake Country's early history through a guided tour of the Museum, Annex, and Wentworth Cabin, with a hands-on look at items that once belonged to our early settlers. (Duration 60 minutes)
- Self-guided Tour and Scavenger Hunt - The Museum offers a self-guided tour and several scavenger hunts for students of different age levels. (Duration 45 - 90 minutes)
- Our Community Then and Now - Students visit three activity stations as they learn about the community's settlers from as far back as the late 1800s and how they lived. This program includes student puzzle sheets and a hands-on activity. (Duration 90 minutes)
- Custom Programs - Custom programs are available on a variety of themes. Please contact us to arrange a program or research study to match your students' learning outcomes.
- Pioneer Box - The Pioneer Box is a traveling kit of artefacts and activities that can be brought to your classroom either as a guided program or as a stand-alone kit available on loan. (Guided program 60 minutes; Loan period 2 weeks)
Hecho a Mano: traditional handcrafts of Mexico
Aug 18, 2012 to Sep 29, 2012
A compelling exhibition of traditional handcrafts of Mexico is on display at the Lake Country Museum. The exhibition features a carefully chosen selection of glass, textiles, ceramics, woodwork, metal, and worked leather handcrafts dating from Pre-Columbian to contemporary times. Special to the exhibition are copies of ancient codices from Madrid and traditional costumes. The exhibition also includes an informative photography exposition featuring the portraits and stories of Mexican migrant workers in our community.
The exhibition runs from August 18th through to September 29th, 2012. During this special exhibition the Lake Country Museum will be open for the following hours:
- August 18th through September 3rd, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., seven days a week.
- September 5th through September 29th, 1 p.m. to 4 p.m., Mondays, Wednesdays, and Saturdays.
The Lake Country Museum is located at 11255 Okanagan Centre Road West, Lake Country BC. Phone 250-766-0111.
Admission is by donation.[Continue Reading]
Bugs & Us
Sep 16, 2012
The second lecture in the 2012 Lecture Series, Bugs & Us, by local entomologist Dr. Ward Strong, will be presented on Sunday, September 16, 2012. This lecture will be held at the Okanagan Centre Hall (11099 Maddock Avenue, Okanagan Centre) at 1:30 p.m. Dr. Strong will discuss the history of entomology in the Okanagan and showcase his amazing collection of photographs of insects. Copies of his photographs and photographic notecards will be available for sale.
This presentation will be followed by an event at the Lake Country Museum (a short walking distance) which will be held to recognize the contribution of the Harvey family that dedicated a substantial and important insect collection to the Museum. This insect collection will be formally unveiled in the Nellie Carter Room of the Museum.
This Lecture is on Sunday afternoon, September 16th, 2012 at 1:30 p.m. Doors of the Okanagan Centre Hall open at 1:00 p.m.
Admission is by Donation.[Continue Reading]
CentrePiece at Okanagan Centre Park
Aug 26, 2007 to Aug 26, 2013
CentrePiece, an annual community event, is a family-oriented celebration that takes place at the Lake Country Museum in Okanagan Centre Park (11255 Okanagan Centre Road West), Lake Country, BC, in late August each year. There is a picnic atmosphere with children’s games, demonstrations, live music, hamburgers, hot dogs, drinks and the annual tea with scones topped with fruit and Devonshire Cream. Everyone is welcome.[Continue Reading]